Yes, it seems everywhere you turn health and wellness experts are telling you to eat more fruits and vegetables. I created the Eat Your Nutrition website with one simple goal in mind, to get others to eat your fruits and vegetables. The idea to eat more fruits and vegetables might not sound appealing, but I share some of my simple tips to eat more fruits and veggies everyday. Keep reading to find out how with my fruit and veggies healthy eating challenge.
Start a Fruits & Veggies Eating Challenge!
Yes, they’re full, and I mean FULL, of nutrition (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, etc.).
People who eat more fruits and vegetables live longer, healthier lives. Not to mention protecting their bodies and minds from almost every chronic disease out there.
Yes, eating more vegetables can help you maintain healthy body weight, and even lose some fat (as long as you don’t bread and fry them, or cover them with cream sauce).
Your question is not “Should I eat more fruits and vegetables,” but “How can I actually do it?”
Believe me, as a nutritionist, I’m chock full of amazing, creative, and delicious ways to help you eat more fruits and veggies.
And before we dive in, always start from where you are. If you’re not used to any fruits or veggies, try for just two per day. Build up from there. Don’t get overwhelmed thinking you need to overhaul your entire diet in one day. Wherever you’re at now, I challenge you to increase it by two per day.
Now, let’s dive into my helpful ideas on HOW to add more fruits and vegetables to your diet!
Sneak Veggies Into Other Dishes
OK, this one may be, shall we say, “sneaky,” but I’m all about your health, so hear me out. Finding ways to eat more fruits and veggies every day does not have to be hard or time-consuming.
Some dishes are super-easy to enhance with a bit of strategically placed produce. What do you think of these ideas?
- Add ½ apple, a small handful of spinach, or extra berries into your smoothie.
- Dice or shred up an extra bit of carrot, broccoli, zucchini, or pepper into your soup.
- Love sandwiches? Why not add an extra slice of tomato, lettuce, or cucumber to it?
- How about chicken, tuna, or salmon salad? Dice up a stalk of celery and throw it in. This is one easy way to eat your nutrition.
- Love to bake? How about substituting ¼ cup of sugar for ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce?
- Are you used to having a small salad? Why not try a larger one?
- Making tomato sauce? Add in some extra mushrooms or peppers.
Make Veggies Taste More Delicious In a Meal
- Steam some frozen corn and add a touch of olive oil and your favorite herb or spice.
- Use veggies as your sandwich “bread” by making a lettuce wrap. I love to use collard leaves as a replacement for a wrap.
- Don’t be afraid to spice them up! Try sautéing them for 10 minutes with a drizzle of oil, and flavor them with pepper, garlic, ginger, or cumin.
Opt For Vegetables as Snacks
- Why not throw a banana, apple, or a few clementines into your lunch bag?
- Ditch the chips and dip – Instead, try some carrot, celery, broccoli, cucumber, or cauliflower with a dip like hummus, guacamole, or even your favorite salad dressing?
- Love sweetened yogurt? Buy plain, and immerse it with fresh or frozen berries.
Fruit & Veggies Eating Challenge
Take two of these suggestions and try them tomorrow. Just add two more fruits and veggies to the number you’re at today. Two more.
And if you’re not an instant fan, try again. Research shows that sometimes it takes our taste buds several tries before actually beginning to like a new flavor. Try it; you might just find some new faves.
You can do it.
Let Me Know Your Favorite Way to Eat More Fruits & Veggies!
I would love to hear what ways you can eat more fruits and veggies every day. Let me know your favorite ideas in the comments below. You can also connect with me @Eat_Your_Nutrition Instagram. I love seeing your photos. #EatYourNutrition #LauraVillanueva