This Tex-Mex crockpot casserole not only is vegetarian but tastes so darn delicious. You can also add in shredded chicken if you wanted to add in more protein, but the beans are a wonderful vegetarian protein source with lots of vitamins and minerals.
- 1 16-ounce can refried black beans
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 zucchinis, sliced into half-moons
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel is my preference).
- 2 cups fire-roasted corn, canned or frozen
- 12 Siete grain-free taco shells (one package has 12 shells), broken into pieces
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa
- 4 cups Mexican style shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- avocado slices
- fresh tomato slices
- pickled jalapenos
- plain yogurt of choice, I prefer plain almond milk yogurt
1. Combine the beans, zucchini, corn, onions, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro in a medium sized bowl. Separately in another bowl, combine the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies with salsa.
2. In your slow cooker, evenly spread 1/2 cup of the tomato and salsa mixture onto the bottom. Top with 1/3 of the broken taco shells. Then spread half of the bean mixture over the taco shells, sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Top that with 1 cup of the salsa mixture. Repeat the layers until all of the mixtures are in the slow cooker.
3. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on a low setting for 4 hours. Serve with any of the optional garnishes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Entrees
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 439
- Sugar: 8.2 grams
- Sodium: 948 mg
- Fat: 14.6 grams
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 62.3 grams
- Fiber: 13.8 grams
- Protein: 17.7 grams
- Cholesterol: 23 mg
Keywords: crockpot casserole, Tex-Mex recipes, vegetarian recipe, casserole recipe, easy casserole recipe