This healthy cranberry apple chia jam will be your favorite jam recipe to replace your traditional sauce recipe. The perfect holiday recipe for Thanksgiving instead of cranberry sauce. You can also use this homemade cranberry jam recipe to top a slice of toasty bread, or topping for your favorite yogurt. I also love to top my gluten-free pancakes with this easy cranberry jam.
Ingredients You Need for Cranberry Apple Jam Recipe
Cranberries: I prefer fresh cranberries, especially during the holiday season when the cranberries are abundant. Frozen will also work well.
Apples: You can use any favorite apple of your choice. I like Fuji or Gala apples the best.
Chia Seeds: These omega 3 filled chia seeds help naturally thicken up any cranberry jam recipes into that jammy texture.
Maple Syrup: This is my favorite natural unrefined sweetener of choice.
Lemon Juice: The tartness of lemon juice will brighten up the flavors of the cranberry and apple.
Water: This is the liquid you use to soften and cook the cranberries and apples.
Cinnamon: I prefer to add a cinnamon stick to the water, which slowly releases the cinnamon flavor without overpowering the flavor of the jam. If you prefer a more cinnamon taste, use ground cinnamon instead.
Vanilla Extract: No holiday recipe is complete without the addition of vanilla extract. This makes the jam truly flavorful and special. It tastes like a dessert in a spoon.
Sea Salt: All you need is a pinch of salt to balance out the tartness, which will bring the sweet flavor profile forward.
Finally, Ditch the Cranberry Sauce from a Can
Why serve a glop of cranberry sauce from a can, when you can make a homemade cranberry chia jam that people will look forward to during the holidays? A nice spread of this apple cranberry jam on crusty bread or even on top of your holiday turkey is out of this world delicious. Got turkey leftovers? Spread some homemade chia jam on a turkey sandwich.
How to Make a Homemade Apple Cranberry Jam Recipe
Homemade chia jam is actually very easy to make. If you want to impress your family and friends during the holiday season, this easy cranberry jam is the perfect recipe.
- 1 cup cranberries
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- To start making this cranberry apple jam recipe, made from chia seeds, start by gathering your ingredients.
- Pour the water into a medium sized sauce pan, add the cranberries, diced apples, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes. This allows enough time for the apples to soften.
- Remove pan from the heat. Using a potato masher, gently mash the fruit mixture until you reach your desired consistency. I prefer a bit of texture in my homemade cranberry chia jam. If you prefer a smoother texture, cool the mixture and process in a blender or food processor.
- Stir in maple syrup, lemon juice, chia seeds, and sea salt. Stir well to make sure there are no obvious clumps in the chia seed jam. Pour into a mason jar or container of choice, and allow to thicken up for a few hours in the fridge. If pressed for time, you can serve this apple chia jam after one hour in the fridge.
Enjoy This Cranberry Jam Recipe!
If you make this homemade cranberry apple chia jam recipe, let me know in the comment section below. Do you want more cranberry recipes? Let me know which recipe you would like me to recreate. Try this chia jam served over a gluten-free piece of toast.
Want to Make More Healthy Holiday Recipes?
Try my Healthy Holidays Bundle, which comes with my Healthy Holidays Cookbook, survival guide, and reset meal plan.