Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. I love making this easy gluten-free strawberry shortcake recipe for an healthy Valentine’s Day dessert. This recipe is perfect for those looking for an easy and healthy strawberry shortcake!
Strawberry Shortcake is an easy dessert to make, but tastes like it took a long time to make. This gluten-free recipe for strawberry shortcake includes layers of gluten-free biscuits, strawberry filling, and fresh coconut whipped cream.
Strawberry Shortcake is a classic dessert that can be made in many different ways. You can even swap out the strawberries for another fruit or berry of choice and create a new dessert.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe – Gluten Free & Healthy
WHAT IS A SHORTCAKE?
A shortcake is a cake similar to a biscuit. The difference between the two, however, is that a shortcake has more sugar than a regular biscuit.
I didn’t use traditional refined sugar in the biscuit. I used maple syrup, vanilla extract, and lemon zest to bring out a sweeter, more flavorful biscuit that is perfect as the base in this strawberry shortcake recipe.
Also, usually, shortcakes are served with berries on top. They can also be served with other types of fruit, such as blueberries, cherries, or even peaches.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STRAWBERRY CAKE AND STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE?
The difference between strawberry cake and shortcake is that the cake has more sugar in it. Many times, cakes will have a frosting on top, but with shortcakes you can actually taste the strawberries. Shortcakes are usually served with whipped cream or ice cream on top, and sometimes sugar sprinkled on them.
IS THIS DESSERT RECIPE EASY ENOUGH FOR A BEGINNER?
This is the perfect easy beginner dessert recipe that will impress everyone. The secret is this dessert recipe is not that hard to make. Even a beginner can make this, and it will come out great.
HOW TO AN MAKE EASY GLUTEN-FREE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
This dessert can be prepared in less than 30 minutes, and it’s perfect for any occasion, but so pretty for a healthy Valentine’s Day dessert idea. The shortcake layers are topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, making it delicious and sweet. This recipe is also a budget friendly dessert recipe idea.
HOW DO I MAKE MY EASY DAIRY-FREE WHIPPED CREAM?
Follow my recipe below to make my simple, fast, and healthy whipped cream recipe, which includes only coconut cream, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and lemon juice and zest. You can use this whipped cream recipe in any recipe that calls for whipped cream.
STRAWBERRY HEALTH BENEFITS:
Strawberries are a berry rich in vitamin. One cup of strawberries contains more vitamin C than one orange. Vitamin C helps boost collagen production. So, your skin will radiate when you eat more strawberries. Plus, you will have stronger, more hydrated skin.
This delicious berry contains ellagic acid. Ellagic acid helps stabilize blood sugar levels. This is why this berry is considered a low sugar fruit.
Strawberries are fantastic for maintaining your eyesight due to high antioxidants, which help fight free radical damage. They are also heart-healthy due to phytochemicals and flavonoids that help keep your cardiovascular system running optimally. Check out the full article discussing all the key nutrients, and the full nutritional report on strawberries here.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake with Coconut Whipped Cream Recipe
Easy Strawberry Shortcake is one of the easiest desserts you’ll ever make!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
GLUTEN-FREE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE INGREDIENTS
Strawberry Shortcake Gluten Free Biscuit Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
Strawberry Topping Ingredients:
- 1 quart of fresh strawberries, sliced into quarters
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
Lemon Glazed Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1 can coconut cream (or refrigerate a can of full fat coconut milk for 24 hours), scoop off the cream floating on the top). (P.S. Don’t waste the leftover coconut milk, reserve for smoothies or use in your coffee in the morning).
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry the strawberries. If you haven’t already done so, slice the strawberries into quarters. In a glass bowl, toss the sliced strawberries with the maple syrup. The juices of the strawberries and maple syrup will combine to make a delicious topping. Set aside.
- To prepare the coconut whipped cream, add all the coconut whipped cream ingredients into a glass bowl and beat the cream until peaks form. Set aside to use for topping.
- Prepare the biscuit recipe. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the biscuit ingredients together. Divide the dough into 4 biscuits by hand, and place onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Flatten gently with the palm of your hand. You can either free form them or shape nicely with a round cookie cutter for perfect circles.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Oven temperatures vary, so keep an eye on them after the 15 minute mark, so they don’t over brown. Remove from the oven and let cool before you serve.
- To assemble the strawberry shortcakes, simply slice the biscuits in half into individual serving dishes. Serve with layers of strawberry topping and whipped cream.
RECIPE TIPS FOR THE PERFECT STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE DESSERT:
- It is best to use fresh strawberries in season.
- Always make sure to preheat your oven before you bake your biscuits. This will ensure even cooking and browning.
- Don’t overmix the biscuit dough. Mix only until the batter looks fully incorporated and smooth.
- If you don’t like coconut, use any prepared whipped topping of your choice. You can also make your own whipped cream from scratch using your own favorite recipe.
HOW DO YOU STORE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE?
You can prepare the biscuits, strawberry topping, and whipped cream in advance of 2 days. After 2 days, the biscuits begin to dry out. Make sure to whip the whipped cream again before serving. Store everything in the refrigerator.
ENJOY THIS HEALTHY STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE?
I hope you try out this easy, delicious and gluten-free strawberry shortcake recipe. Let me know in the comment section below. Enjoy your fresh strawberry dish!