This chicken enchilada casserole is the perfect dish to serve during busy weeknights. It can be prepped ahead of time and baked as soon as you come home from work in the evening. You can have dinner on the table for your family in thirty minutes if you prep this earlier. What makes this recipe for enchilada casserole special is it is also gluten-free. So, no need to worry if anyone in your family has a wheat or gluten allergy. This chicken enchilada casserole is the perfect delicious thirty-minute dinner idea.
Sweet Potato Benefits:
Sweet potatoes are not only rich in fiber but are excellent sources of vitamin A and beta-carotene. Vitamin A helps regenerate collagen, which in turn keeps your skin looking smooth. The fiber in sweet potatoes helps keep you full for a longer period of time, but it can also help manage blood sugar levels. Sweet potatoes can help in cell turnover, which can aid in wound healing and diminishing the appearance of scars. You can read more about the health and beauty benefits of sweet potatoes. These are just some wonderful reasons why I added sweet potato to this chicken enchilada casserole recipe.
Sweet Potato & Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced and roasted
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 15-ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese or vegan cheese
- 2 16-ounce jars of salsa verde
- 1 12-ounce package frozen, corn, thawed
- 12 small gluten-free tortillas
- Sea salt and black pepper, taste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Optional toppings for Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add sweet potatoes, chicken, black beans, corn, salt, and pepper to a medium mixing bowl. Toss mixture together.
- Grease a 9 X 13″ baking dish with a tablespoon of olive oil. Spoon 1 cup of salsa Verde into the bottom of the dish. Layer 3 tortillas, 1/2 of the sweet potato, bean, and corn mixture, then 1 cup of salsa into the dish. Repeat the layering with remaining tortillas, salsa, pico, and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown all around the edges. Serve immediately and top with pico, guacamole, and cilantro if desired, or you can serve this chicken enchilada casserole simply as is.
ENJOY THIS CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE!
If you make this recipe for gluten-free enchilada casserole, let me know in the comment section below. I also would love to hear what you think, or take a photo and tag me @Eat_Your_Nutrition on Instagram. I love seeing your photos. #EatYourNutrition #LauraVillanueva