I have been working on perfecting the perfect healthy cajun chicken pasta recipe for a while now, plus this one is gluten-free too. Of course, it had to be husband-approved first. This is actually one of his favorite healthy dinner dishes I make. You can make this cajun pasta recipe with a store-bought cajun spice mix, or use my homemade cajun spice recipe below. Both are equally delicious.
This dish is full of zest and flavor. There is plenty of lean protein from the chicken. A huge score for this recipe is how I replaced traditional cream with broth instead. Trust me, you won’t miss it because you are adding in either parmesan cheese or dairy-free parmesan cheese. Plus, this meal can be made in only 30 minutes. How easy is that? Clean-up will be such a breeze after eating this delicious healthy cajun chicken pasta recipe. If you want to add in some fresh spinach to mix in more nutrients, add this in during step 3. I love it both ways.
CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA RECIPE
- One pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- One yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 whole tomatoes, diced
- 8 ounces gluten-free rotini or penne pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (can use dairy-free parmesan-style cheese).
- 1 cup chicken broth (if vegetarian, use vegetable broth).
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to your package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In the same large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the onions and peppers until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in the chicken pieces and cajun seasoning. Brown the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Add in one cup chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to boil. Scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan to add additional depth of flavor.
- Next, reduce the heat and add in the parmesan cheese, garlic, powder, and minced garlic. Cook until the sauce starts to thicken up, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the pasta and coat with the sauce. Toss in a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste. Top with fresh parsley and more parmesan cheese if desired.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning:
Makes 3/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- One and a half tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
Mix these spices together. Store until ready to use.
ENJOY THIS HEALTHY CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA RECIPE!
If you make this cajun chicken pasta recipe let me know in the comment section below. I also would love to hear what you think, or take a photo and tag me @Eat_Your_Nutrition on Instagram. I love seeing your photos. #EatYourNutrition #LauraVillanueva
Here’s some other healthy chicken recipes to try: