Abdominal bloating is a pesky symptom that most people experience repeatedly throughout their life. Various things can cause it, most of which are harmless, and can be treated with simple measures. Food-based indigestion commonly causes Bloating or a buildup of gas in the digestive system. As long as bloating is reduced within a day or two, there is typically no cause for concern. So how exactly can you stop the bloating from happening in the first place? I explain common causes that may cause you to bloat, and give some tips on how to fix stomach bloating fast. We all want to stop the bloating feeling from happening in the first place, so continue reading to learn how to finally stop that stomach bloating feeling.
Common Causes of Abdominal Bloating
There are many common causes of stomach bloating and the symptoms that accompany it. Bloating typically follows a 1-3 day pattern and will remedy itself naturally. The reasons below are the standard triggers for abdominal bloating.
Gas is a Typical Cause of Bloating
The most common cause of bloating is a buildup of non-harmful gas in the stomach and intestinal tract. Gas-related bloating typically only causes mild discomfort. However, painful cramps or severe nausea can also accompany bloating caused by gas. You may be eating too fast. Take time to be more mindful and slow down while eating.
Upset stomach, indigestion is a mild to moderate stomach discomfort everyone experiences to some degree from time to time. Indigestion will typically subside in a few days. Everyday causes of indigestion include:
- Eating foods that don’t agree with you (spicy food, excess sugar, excess acid, etc.)
- Medications that cause stomach irritation
- Overuse of caffeine or alcohol
Intolerance to Certain Foods
One of the most common causes of bloating, gas and stomach cramps is food intolerance. Examples of food intolerances include:
- Lactose intolerance
- Gluten allergy or celiac disease
- Intolerance to spicy foods
- Too much or too little fiber. Both can lead to bloating.
By simply noticing which foods lead to bloating, you can avoid those foods or only use in moderation to prevent bloating in the future.
There are many types of mild stomach infections that can cause bloating, gas and nausea. These mild stomach infections typically go away within a few days. It is important to drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration as the stomach infection remedies itself. If bloating and other stomach-related issues do not resolve within a few days, calling your doctor is your best bet.
Disruption in Bacteria Balance
While bacteria often has negative connotations, your stomach and intestinal tract have various “good” bacteria that help your body digest food. When the balance of the various kinds of bacteria is disrupted, it can lead to an excess of “bad” bacteria in the small intestine. Thus, this leads to trouble breaking down food and absorbing the nutrients within the food, leading to bloating.
When the microbiota in your gut interacts with trapped stool, an excess of gas is produced in your colon. As a result, this leads to bloating and constipation. This is typically remedied naturally.
Simple Remedies to Treat Bloating
When suffering from bloat, we all want to fix bloating fast. There are many options and remedies to safely treat bloating and subsequent symptoms at home. Some of the most common remedies to fix bloating stomach include:
How to Fix Stomach Bloating Fast
- Lying down with a heating pad on the stomach.
- Eating slowly, ensuring you are chewing your food thoroughly.
- Stay away from foods that may cause gas, like broccoli, beans, and Brussels sprouts. Too much fiber can lead to excess gas and bloating, especially if you are not used to eating high fiber foods.
- Common drugstore medicines, like an antacid or a product containing bismuth salicylate.
- Hydrating the system by drinking more water, preferably room temperature water.
- Drinking teas with ingredients used for calming the stomach, like peppermint tea.
- Get active. Don’t skip your workout routine. Working out is a wonderful way to help relieve bloating. Exercise helps reduce constipation and keep things moving in your sluggish digestive system.
- Consider probiotics. Probiotics can help digestion and reduce excessive gas.
Let’s Discuss How to Stop That Bloated Feeling!
I hope these tips help stop stomach bloating fast. That uncomfortable bloating after eating can be so bothersome. I hope the advice in this article helps stop the bloating. So, give them a try today. Let me know in the comment section below. I would also love to hear what you think, or take a photo and tag me @Eat_Your_Nutrition on Instagram. I love seeing your photos. #EatYourNutrition #LauraVillanueva
Get the 7 Ways to Banish Belly Bloat Guide
Learn the 7 secret ways to banish belly bloat for good. Sign up for the FREE email newsletter, and you can download this free guide today. You’ll also be added to my email list & get lots of free goodies, updates, and discounts too.