Traveling soon? Seeing relatives for the upcoming holidays? Perhaps a long-awaited vacation? Business trip? Something completely different? No matter where you’re going, you’re probably going to appreciate some quick and easy healthy food ideas. These can help you stay on track and help you bring, and find, real food. While these healthy eating tips can all be used here at home, this is extra-important when you’re traveling. So, let’s dive right in to find out how to eat healthy while on vacation.
Tips to Eat Healthy While Traveling
How to Travel on Vacation and Still Eat Healthy?
Let me give you some great strategies that can help you do this while you’re “on the road.”
Pro Tip: When booking your hotel room, ask if you can have one with a mini-fridge. This will help you store some of your healthy snacks and groceries while you’re there.
Bring Your Own Healthy Snacks
Well, this is important, because it will not only keep you from becoming a “hangry junk-seeker,” but also hold you off until you’re able to stop at a proper grocery store for say…actual real food!
Favorite Healthy Travel Snacks
Here are a bunch of my favorite on-the-go snacks to have in your bag and/or cooler.
- If you’re going to have a cooler or eat them within a couple of hours, try fresh fruit or boiled eggs (don’t forget the ice packs).
- Unsalted nuts and seeds (I love walnuts and pumpkin seeds myself).
- Dried or even freeze-dried fruit.
- Kind Bars or Organic Bars of your choice
- Sliced veggies (carrots, celery, cucumber, broccoli, etc.) with a dip (hummus, guacamole, salad dressing, etc.). You can even buy single-serving packs at Costco.
- Find good quality protein bars, or make your own before heading out.
- Good quality granola cereal (I love Purely Elizabeth varieties)
- Savory snacks like roasted chickpeas.
- High-quality protein powder to make your own smoothies (I like Tone it Up or Orgain). Be sure to also pack a mini blender, like a Magic Bullet, if needed.
- And don’t forget your drinks. Bring some water with you. Or if you’re flying, choose water in the airport and on the plane.
3 Easy Ways to Find Healthy Food at Your Travel Destination
Of course, you can always Google your destination and search for grocery stores or healthy restaurants. But there are a few websites and apps that may be helpful for you.
- Find Me Gluten Free – A website that searches for gluten-free restaurants around the US.
- Healthy Out – An app that helps you find restaurants that cater to your dietary preferences, be they gluten-free, lactose-free, low-calorie, low-carb, etc.
- Food Tripping – Designed for road trips, this app helps you find alternatives to fast food.
Traveling on vacation often comes with unnecessary junk food that can derail your healthy lifestyle. Planning ahead and being prepared can be simple, and help keep your health goals on track even when you’re out and about!
Let’s Discuss Healthy Eating While Traveling!
Let me know if these eating tips for traveling on vacation helped you on your family trips. You can also connect with me @Eat_Your_Nutrition on Instagram. I love seeing your photos. #EatYourNutrition #LauraVillanueva
You can also find more tips like this, including how to go gluten-free when you travel.